Have a passion for plants and agriculture and looking for a good place to put it to use?
Walker Brothers is looking for an Agronomist. This position will go beyond working in our offices in Malin, Oregon. As our Senior Agronomist, you will be able to get out of the lab and from behind the computer and out into the fields to see what is happening on our farm. From the Running Y Ranch to the Tule Lake Leases, you will be using your education and experience to figure out how to better manage our fertilizer use, keep pests under control, produce outstanding crops, and, to be frank, make this the best damn farm in the Klamath Basin and on the West Coast. Not only will you be handsomely compensated, you will have opportunities to expand your knowledge base at conferences and have access to technology. If you’ve ever wanted to opportunity to make a difference and work for a thriving agri-business that has been recognized for its environmental stewardship and environmental leadership, this is that opportunity. Plus, you get to work in the one of the most scenic places in all of Oregon and California!
- Study, investigate and conduct experiments on different soil/plant types to determine:
- Use capabilities of soils
- Appropriate fertilizer applications
- Water saturation levels
- Effects of alternative practices on soil productivity
- Diagnose physiological problems of potato plants due to fertilizer or pests
- Develop and implement insecticide, nematicide and fungicide pest management strategy
- Assist and oversight of seed cutting, planting, fertilizer application, irrigation and harvest
- Supervise inspections of cellars and fields
- Oversee packing shed running quality control and potato storage quality control
- Degree in Agronomy or one of the following disciplines (preferred):
- Crop and Soil Science
- Plant Breeding and Genetics
- Botany and Plant Pathology
- Biological and Ecological Engineering
- Agricultural and Resource Economics
- Crop Management and Protection
- Pesticide applicator’s license
- Food Technology preferred
- Potato Production preferred
- Greenhouse and Hydroponics experience preferred
- Experience in the chipping potato, mini-tuber and seed businesses preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to prioritize operations in light of multiple priorities and conflicting demands
- Spanish speaking skills preferred
- Team player with an ability to lead and participate in cross-functional teams
- Understanding of the life cycle of the potato plant
- Understanding of crop rotation importance and effects
Sound interesting? Apply today! If you have the experience, education and desire to work for a growing ag business, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Please Note: Applicants that do not submit a cover letter will not be considered.