Hay Farm Manager
We have a great opportunity for someone who is ready to roll up their sleeves and work hard.
We are looking for a qualified, experienced Hay Farm Manager. Our ideal candidate will have a solid background in running a farm and the divisions within a farm, be able to work long days and be a leader to our hay farm crew. Sound interesting? Keep reading!
We are seeking a self-motivated individual with good people skills (bilingual a plus) to supervise hay farm operations and workers as a manager. Job responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
- Management of overall daily operations haying for a farm
- Supervision of staff
- Purchasing of tools, equipment and materials
- Directing the work of a small group of employees
- Reporting to a senior manager if in charge of leading a specific area or unit
- Being accountable for quality compliance, organic and environmental stewardship, inventory control, efficiencies with respect to labor, production, overhead, operational budget, and profit and loss statements
- Application of a wide range of concepts, practices, and procedures from two or more specialized fields of science, such as agronomy, soil science, forestry, or agriculture
- Demonstration of clear integrity and a sense of ethics and responsibility to the farm and its employees on a daily basis, serving as a model for others
- Management of the relationships with neighbors, community leaders and regulatory agencies
- Effective partnership with Human Resources and others in a culturally diverse workforce
- Efficient implementation and reinforcement of the company’s environmental health and safety programs and product food safety programs
- Associate/ Bachelors degree in Agriculture or Ag Business strongly preferred
- Mandatory 3-5 years of related experience overseeing alfalfa hay farm operations — putting up hay, managing water, storage, etc.
- Management experience in the farming industry preferred
- Planning, scheduling and project management experience necessary
- Hay Storage Management experience preferred
- Computer experience required — full Microsoft Office Suite, Internet experience required at a minimum
- Agriculture, Ag Business, other related degrees preferred